Greetings chemists old and new!
CGSS and the department would like to invite you to participate in the combined UBC Chemistry Alumni Day and Graduate Student Research Symposium. This year will feature graduate student and alumni award presentations, talks by alumni and Dr. David Perrin, graduate student posters, and a BBQ lunch. There will also be the annual CGSS council election, where this year’s council is decided!
All graduate students, particularly those in their second year of graduate studies are strongly encouraged to present a poster at the poster session. Prizes will be awarded for the best posters.
When: Saturday, September 22. Activities start at 9:30 AM and run until 3:00 PM.
- 9:30am Registration B250
- 9:45am Graduate Student and Alumni Award Presentations B250
- 10:15am Guest Lecturers (Heather Buckley, David Perrin, and Sacha Mann) B250
- 11:45pm CGSS Elections (See Below)
- 12:00pm Graduate Student Symposium Poster Session 1/Bldg Tours
- 1:00pm BBQ Lunch (FREE)
- 2:00pm Graduate Student Symposium Poster Session 2/Bldg Tours
Note that for current chemistry department members, preregistration is not required.
I hope to see you there!
*Update: CGSS Elections*
It is once again time to elect a new CGSS council. The CGSS is a great way to get involved in the department, meet new people, and have a say in all of the CGSS events throughout the year. It also looks great on your resume!
Nominations for the 2018-2019 CGSS council are now open until September 15 at 5 PM.
If you’d like to run for a position, it’s very simple. Just send an email to the current CGSS present Maria Cleveland with the following info:
- The position you are interested in running for (see: CGSS Council Positions document).
- Your name, year, and lab group.
- A very short introduction/description about yourself.
- A picture of yourself for the election posters.
And that’s it! Again, nominations are due by September 15 at 5 PM. The election will be held during the CGSS general meeting on Saturday, September 22nd, during the joint alumni day and graduate research symposium at 11:45 AM.
Council Positions Available to Everyone:
- Vice President
- Members-at-Large (3 positions)
- GSS (Graduate Student Society) Rep
- Union Rep (2 positions)
- First Year Rep (must be a first year student)
- Sports Rep
- International Students Rep (must be an international student)
Council Positions Available to Previous Council Members:
- Social Coordinator (2 positions available)
- Wellness Rep
If you’d like more information on any of the positions, or have any other questions, don’t hesitate to email CGSS President Maria at email@example.com!